About the school
The Microsoft Machine Learning and Intelligence School will take place in Saint Petersburg, Russia, from July 29 to August 5, 2015. The School is sponsored by Microsoft Research and Yandex and is organized in cooperation with Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU). The school offers advanced undergraduates, PhD students, and young scientists and developers a unique opportunity to learn about the latest research in machine learning, intelligence and data science from top scientists. The Machine Learning and Intelligence School 2015 will bring together thought leaders and practitioners from a broad range of disciplines including computer science, engineering, statistics, mathematics and economics. Participants will learn some of the key challenges posed by this new era of machine learning and intelligence, and will work on the next generation of approaches, techniques and tools that will be needed to exploit the information revolution for the benefit of society.
Great news to share: the Microsoft Research School on Machine learning and Intelligence will host ACM this year! ACM Europe will participate in this year summer school with a presentation and will offer all participating students a one-year complimentary ACM Professional Membership with Digital Library access. Besides, ACM will invite all school participants to a beer party where ACM will be present. Looking forward to this excellent opportunity!
- (March 13, 2015) P.Anandan, MSR Outreach Director, will come to give a keynote at the School.
- (March 10, 2015) Isabelle Guyon, Christoph Lampert, Mona Soliman Habib and Fabrizio Gagliardi are confirmed as lecturers.
- (March 3, 2015) ACM Europe will participate in this year summer school.
- (January 19, 2015) Website launched.
- P. Anandan (Microsoft Research, USA)
- Christopher Bishop (Microsoft Research, UK)
- Fabrizio Gagliardi (ACM Europe, Europe)
- Isabelle Guyon (ChaLearn, USA)
- Mona Soliman Habib (Microsoft Corporation, USA)
- Anton Konushin (Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia)
- Christoph Lampert (Institute of Science and Technology, Austria)
- Michael Levin (Yandex Data Factory, Russia)
- Maxim Milakov (NVIDIA, Russia)
- Kate Saenko (University of Massachusetts, Lowell, USA)
- Ruslan Salakhutdinov (University of Toronto, Canada)
- Olga Senyukova (Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia)
- Dmitry Vetrov (Higher School of Economics, Russia)
- Evelyne Viegas (Microsoft Research, USA)
Advanced undergraduates, MS and PhD students, young scientists (35 or under), and developers interested in machine learning and artificial intelligence are encouraged to apply. The school is primarily aimed at Russian residents, but students residing abroad who do not need a visa to enter Russia may apply (see FAQ).
English is the working language of the school. Fluency in English is required and knowledge of Russian is strongly recommended. Minimal necessary background includes an introductory algorithms class and basic programming skills.
Accepted students pay no tuition, and the school covers their accommodations, meals, and social program. The students pay for their travel to St Petersburg and back. A limited number of partial or full travel grants may be provided.
The school will have courses, lectures, question and answer sessions, and homework.
When and How to Apply
Qualified candidates should complete their applications by March 31, 2015. Submission will be opened from February 1, 2015. We strongly encourage interested candidates to register right away (application can be completed later). Registration is simple and takes two minutes. Registered candidates will receive mail notifications from organizing committee. Application material (including transcript, short CV, a term paper (курсовая) or a research paper, and optional supporting material, see FAQ ) can be uploaded and updated any time until the application deadline. Acceptance decisions will be made around May 15, 2015.
For additional information, send an email to ml2015 [at] machinelearning2015 [dot] ru.